Episode 90: Attracting Experienced Foreign Drivers, with Rob Peacock
Chad discusses a program for recruiting experienced drivers to fill needed roles in the U.S. trucking industry with Rob Peacock, CEO of the Education Training & Technology Exchange Network based in Johannesburg, South Africa. Rob began matching the most experienced South African truck drivers with U.S. companies and owner/operators with a program that launched in 2012.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why the idea of driving in the U.S. appeals to the most experienced drivers in South Africa and elsewhere
- Why the truck driving industry in South Africa is challenging and sometimes dangerous
- Employing foreigners to address the shortfall of available drivers in a tight U.S. labor market
- How to navigate the legal process of hiring foreign drivers with employment-based green cards
- The excitement and motivation of international drivers getting the opportunity to come to the U.S.
- How the program grew from an effort to educate South African drivers and foster their entrepreneurial spirit
- How South African drivers compare to their U.S. counterparts
- U.S. businesses working with South African drivers applaud their safety record, work ethic, and attitude
- The adjustments that South African drivers make to adapt to the U.S. trucking industry
- What is expected from the carriers in order to make this process work smoothly
- How long to expect the process of bringing foreign workers to the U.S. to take
How to connect with rob peacock