Episode 26: How Apprenticeship Programs Would Benefit the Trucking Industry, with Chris Spear
Chris Spear is a government relations specialist with over two decades experience on five continents, serving the transportation, energy and defense technology sectors.
Mr. Spear is President and CEO of the American Trucking Associations, advocating public policy on behalf of the nation’s trucking industry. He serves on the Board of Directors for the American Transportation Research Institute, the Federal Advisory Committee on Autonomous Technology, the Northwestern University Transportation Center Advisory Council and the Congressional Award Foundation.
Previously, Mr. Spear was Vice President of Government Affairs for Hyundai Motor Company, serving on the Global Automakers Executive Committee; Vice President of Emerging Markets for Honeywell International, based in Bracknell, United Kingdom; and Vice President for Honeywell Government Relations in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, managing corporate interests in the US, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Central Asia and Latin America.
“Skipping around job to job is not helpful for employees, companies, or the economy, and it’s only going to continue to happen if we don’t start dealing with the driver shortage issue head on and finding solutions that eliminate barriers to employment. I think apprenticeships are a key component of that.”
– Chris Spear
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why trucking companies are currently not allowed to recruit 18-21 year olds (and why that should change)
- Getting young people interested in joining an apprenticeship program by showing them that they’re valued and appreciated
- How apprenticeships would help to boost retention for the trucking companies that utilize them
- How the ATA is working with the federal government on apprenticeship programs under the president’s executive order
- What it takes to recruit soon to be leaving military personnel and what the ATA is doing to improve that process
- Tapping into the international market for recruiting drivers for the future
- Working with parents to attract young people to the trucking industry to give them a lasting future
- Why Chris isn’t worried about driverless trucks taking over and how technology can make the roads safer for everyone
Ways to contact Chris:
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chris-spear-92b5393