Episode 22: Close the Driver Feedback Loop, with Max Farrell
Max Farrell is the CEO of WorkHound. His mission is to help people love the work they do, and he lives this every day at WorkHound.
WorkHound is a fast-action driver relations and retention platform for trucking companies. Knowing the 95% annual driver turnover rate in trucking, they set out to dig to the root of the issue. Drivers continue to leave companies because they don’t feel respected, they don’t feel like they’re part of a team, and they don’t feel like they have a voice.
WorkHound gives drivers a voice to share feedback anywhere, anytime. Through their mobile platform, drivers are always anonymous until they choose to reveal who they are. This way drivers don’t have to fear retaliation.
Their platform updates carriers throughout the day on the urgent issues and trends affecting their fleet. It closes the feedback loop with drivers by addressing issues one-on-one or in a message back to the entire fleet.
Trucking companies on WorkHound have seen as much as a 16% decrease in driver turnover, and they work with thousands of drivers across carriers with 100+ drivers.
“Trucking is still a people business. Drivers need to have a great relationship with their driver manager.”
– Max Farrell
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- The very real fear of retaliation that drivers face
- The report WorkHound did with drivers at the end of 2017
- People, equipment, logistics, and pay: the four things drivers were most concerned within 2017
- Remembering that the trucking business is still a people business and why drivers need great relationships with their managers
- The family environment: why drivers want a sense of belonging to their company
- Why the drivers see their truck as their home and how this complicates trucking companies making decisions about the equipment that goes inside the trucks, especially when drivers are given no input
- The importance of actually communicating to drivers why decisions that impact them are being made
- The frustrations drivers have with logistics, particularly around challenges with load planning
- Why drivers get frustrated when they don’t understand their pay or think that companies calculate it incorrectly
- Why trucking companies absolutely need to get feedback from their drivers, act on it, and communicate what they did back to the drivers
- How the WorkHound platform allows companies to get feedback from drivers anonymously and communicate with them
- The improved retention rate and other changes trucking companies see after using WorkHound
Ways to contact Max:
- Website: workhound.com